Tuesday 20 September 2011

Mindfulness: 1. Baking Cookies :)

This week the class looked at the use of mindfulness. Mindfulness is looking not at just one aspect of an activity but the activity as a whole. For my first activity experience I baked chocolate chip cookies.  I baked the chocolate chip cookies using an altered sense of consciousness using all the body's senses to do the activity. I began with finding the recipe and the ingredients to make it. Then I began mixing all the ingredients. I enjoyed the experience of seeing the different ingredients mixed together, smelling the fresh baking and rolling out the cookies. This baking experience was enjoyable as for the first time I used mindfulness and all my senses; Sight, smell, touch, sound, taste. The smell of the chocolate chip cookies stimulates the senses and makes me think about how they taste. Using mindfulness during my activity related to an article I read that described it as a present-moment awareness that is believed to enhance balance and psychological well-being (Segal, Williams, & Teasdale, 2002). The baking did  enhance the balance in my day, I was able to open my mind to think about the present moment and relax in doing so. To be mindful a person needs to be in touch with their innermost self and be aware of what is around them.


Baking chocolate cookies: the recipe
125g butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:
 1. Beat butter, essence, sugar and egg until smooth.
 2. Then stir in remaining dry ingredients until mixed through
 3. Bake at 180 degrees for 10- 15 minutes or until slightly brown

Mindfulness refers to being aware of and attending to ongoing experiences (Brown & Ryan, 2003; Kabat-Zinn, 2003).

References:

Brown, K. W., & Ryan, R. M. (2003). The benefits of being present: Mindfulness and its role in
psychological well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 822–848


Segal, Z. V., Williams, J. M. G., & Teasdale, J. D. (2002). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for
depression: A new approach to preventing relapse. New York: Guilford Press


No comments:

Post a Comment